Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Thank You

I have received many well wishes about my glucose tests. For those that don't know, the first one I scored high on so I had to take the 3 hr fasting one. Four pricks in the same spot, almost 4hrs in a lab waiting room, and a couple days of waiting is not what I call a good time. But I found out yesterday that I do indeed have gestational diabetes. The news did not thrill me, to be honest it sent me into a hysterical crying fit. Right now, I could care less about me, sounds weird but true. But felling like I am doing something that is harming Abigail fills me with such sadness and guilt. I know not the most rational of thoughts but still, honest. We knew this would be a possibility as my mother was GD with her last two pregnancies and I have a history of insulin resistance. I see a diabetic counselor tomorrow for 2 hrs and then again the following week for another 2 hrs to hash over everything. All I know right now is carbs are bad :) or at least the carbs I like are bad, and that I have to finger prick test 4 times a day. Hopefully with a better diet and exercises I will be able to control this and Abi will be none the wiser. I just pray that this isn't some pay back for my lovely weight in of 11lbs 7 oz when I entered this earth :)
On a happier note...it's beginning to look a lot like a nursery!!!! That is the room is. With both our mothers coming into town this week Sean was on a mission to get things done. God love him! Sunday while I had a massage, pedicure, and my hair cut and colored :) Sean and our friend David moved all the stuff out of the room that will be the nursery and moved in the stuff that needs to be. After David left Sean decided to install the mini chandelier that we bought for her room. Sean calls it kinda tacky, I call it fabulous! Ha-Ha I will post pics later. Unfortunately he felt he cut the wire to short and was coming off the ladder and missed a step. Needless to say Sean went flying along with the light, the ladder and the tools (all which landed on him). Thankfully he is all right, sore but good. But the man was on a mission that night to fix the light. For those that have known me growing up, no one in my family is handy. They think I am cause I can follow directions and put things together but I don't think that is really being handy. I don't even think I have ever seen my brother or father change a light bulb. But I watched as my husband took apart our daughters chandelier and made it into many, many pieces, and then rewired the whole thing and put it back together again. And do you know what...it worked! I am still so amazed. And it's great!!!! We also go the changing table put together, which looks beautiful in the room. Thanks to my mother in law who found it and told us about it! :) Lastly, Sean decided he wanted to tackle the crib and have it all ready. Sadly, they didn't ship 4 parts that we need with it so it is still in pieces in her room. Sean was not pleased. But I am thrilled with the progress we have made and can't wait till everything gets in it's place.

Really quick I want to send out my well wishes to our friend Liane and Rutherford. They are pregnant with twin girls and it looks like today might be the day! We wish them the best and can't wait to meet their daughters. Abi will be a social butterfly before we know it will all my friends having babies!

Our best to you all.

Always,
Rachel

1 comment:

Jen said...

I'm sorry to hear about the outcome of your glucose screen - that must be so very frustrating. But I know you and your doctors will be able to manage it so that both you and Abi will be alright, and all of this difficult stuff will be SO worth it when she finally arrives. I'm thinking of you!