Wednesday, November 12, 2008

How is this possible?

My baby is 6 months old! When did this happen? How has it already been 6 months? Our little girl is growing up! Abigail Moira...STOP!
Seriously though, I don't know how it has already been 6 months. I remember life without her, but life with her is so much richer and fuller. I cannot even wrap my mind around how much life has changed since she graced our lives. More so, how much SHE has changed since gracing our lives. Our little girl who barely opened her eyes for the first month, stares wide eyed taking it all in now. Her laugh is infectious. Her cry quickens my heartbeat. And nothing could make a morning better than that sweet smile I am greeted with daily. I in no means am an expert but here is what I feel I have learned in my first 6 months of parenting:
* It is best not to tell others that my child sleeps at least 12 hrs straight at night and has basically done so since 6 weeks. Doing so will result in anger and evil looks.
* I am screwed for baby number 2 for I had no hand in getting Abigail to sleep through the night. The child decided all on her own that she wanted to. Maybe we will luck out twice :) (a girl can hope!)
* While in my mind our mothers and our mothers mothers fought for us to have the CHOICE to stay home or to work, a lot of my generation looks down upon me for choosing to stay home feeling as though little 'ol me is setting back the feminist movement.
* I have never been happier. Being able to stay home with Abi is the greatest joy and I am savoring every moment knowing it truly is the greatest luxury, for me, to be able to.
* I never knew that I would think washing my hair and letting it air dry was a style and that I would actually leave the house thinking I look "cute". ha-ha
* I never knew what a special treat it would be to have Sean do Abi's bed time routine while I took a shower, not timed, without the baby monitor, and without having to leave the shower halfway through to rescue a crying child.
* I never knew how sexy I would find it that my husband comes home and after kissing me immediately gets down on the ground and plays with Abigail.
* I never knew how much harder marriage would become after having a child. It is amazing the pointless arguments that can occur over the silliest of things, such as packing a diaper bag.
* My love for Sean has only grown the last six months for we are truly trying to parent together.
* I never knew how much becoming a parent would make me grow up.
* I never knew how many conversations with so many people I could have about poop.
* I have learned how truly blessed and lucky I am to have so many friends with children around Abi's age. Not only for her, but more my sanity as well.
* I never knew having a daughter could be so much fun. And yes Sean I know she is not a doll to dress and play with her hair...but she is my daughter to dress and style her hair :)
* I never knew having a daughter could be so scary. I dread her first heartbreak, and want to put her in a big bubble to protect her from all the scary things.
* I knew Sean and I would be good parents, I didn't know we'd be this good. Yes that is tooting my own horn but darn it I think we are doing a stellar job so far.
* I never knew that Sean accidentally pouring soapy water into Abigail's eyes would be okay for it wasn't his fault. Yet me pouring soapy water accidentally into Abigail's eyes breaks my heart and I feel awful for it.
* I never knew raspberries could be so entertaining for the entire family.
* I never knew at such a young age she would already have different roles for Sean and I. I can calm her more quickly then Sean. While he can get her to smile and laugh like I never can.
* I never knew the love I could feel for her. It is something I can never put into words for it is just a feeling that runs through me and something that grows daily.

Happy 6 months my sweet girl!

No comments: