As some of you might know I received a speeding ticket in February. I did not think I was speeding so I decided to fight the ticket. Numerous people told me it was pointless and that I'd never win. Oregon doesn't have traffic school like California where your ticket won't affect your insurance so I really wanted to fight it. The day before court I went to the dr. because my lovely unborn child played designer with my organs and such and I was in a lot of pain. Turns out she shifted a vertebrae which caused a pinch nerve. Since I am pregnant there isn't anything they can do for me and supposedly it will be better once she's is no longer inside kicking :). So I tried to postpone my court date but was told I could not.
So off to court I went. First, my notice said to be there at 1:30, court did not start till 2. This would have been nice to tell the pregnant woman who hadn't gone to the bathroom since 11:45. Once court started we were told we shouldn't leave and there was no drinking or eating. Also the judge encouraged all there to speak with their officers and come to an agreement before he did roll call. I went over to my cop and he quickly said "you wanted a trial, your getting a trial". I said fine and asked if I could see the video evidence they had against me before my hearing. He said no.
Out of 9 officers and about 45 people when all was said an done, about 35 people struck deals before hand with their officers. In the end there was 3 officers left, the 2 that pulled me over and one other. So the 10 of us that were left after roll call started one by one having our hearings. Between the deals and the hearing before me everyone ticket price was lowered except for one guy. This was his 5th ticket for speeding in a year but the judge even told him if he took the high risk driving course he could get a refund of his ticket to the lower price.
Then it was my turn. What a joke. The supposed video evidence against me was footage of the construction zone 2 weeks AFTER my ticket date. I gave my side and the judge even said to the officers "so you have no actual proof of her speeding". At this point I was feeling pretty confident. Then the judge says "really it's your word against theirs and you haven't proven to me that they are not correct. And unfortunately you didn't take my advice and speak to them before hand so I am not going to lower the ticket and I find you guilty".
I was furious. Seriously? What happened to innocent till proven guilty? They proved NOTHING! I am still glad I went for I know I was telling the truth but now my perfect record has a 47 in a 35 construction zone offence :(
17 years ago

1 comment:
who gives a fuck? everyone has problems, get in line. BTW, you should have blown the cop in the bathroom, then he would of helped ya out with the ticket.
Post a Comment