Thursday, September 25, 2008

This whole parenthood thing is hard stuff!

We had our first freak out. Let me start from the beginning. First thank you mom and dad and all the other parents out there! Sean and I both have some kind of cold thing. I of course can't really take anything with nursing so I was the lucky one with a 102.8 fever yesterday. I had the realisation yesterday that when your a parent and your sick, unlike work, you can't call in sick. But I must admit miss Abi was very easy on me. And once Sean came home instead of crawling into bed he took on Abi duty to let me rest...love the man! Since we have been sick I have been watching Abi like a hawk for any and all symptoms. Thankfully, knock on wood (yes I did), none have truly surfaced other then a little cough and a stuffy nose. So fast forward to 1:30 t0day. Abi and I were in her room and I was nursing her. I wasn't looking at her for I was off in my own world thinking when I felt a tapping. I looked down to see Abigail's whole body shaking and her eyes rolling. I quickly picked her up and kept calling her name. Finally she focused and looked at me. I was totally freaked out. But she seemed fine so I started nursing again. But this time my eyes were glued on her. While she continued to eat I was wondering if I should call Sean, call her doctor, call anyone...but really what had just happened? Then all of a sudden it started again. Our sweet girl, whole body shaking and eyes rolling. I swooped her up and ran to the phone and dialed her doctor as fast as I could. They were awesome. Instead of having a nurse call me back she asked if I was okay being on hold and she'd have a doctor on the phone asap. As I waited Abigail threw up all over her and I. The doctor was very nice and said I could do one of 3 things, call 911, go to the ER, or they would fit me in there. I said I didn't think it warranted 911 and they are closer then the ER so we'd be there in 10 minutes. Sean received the, "now don't freak out...but..." phone call and off we went. Sean claims he didn't speed but he got there about 5 minutes after us.
According to the doctor he doesn't think she had a seizure. He thinks it was reflux and that because of the congestion she was choking and that caused the shaking. I can't feed her laying down anymore and we are to watch carefully for any more episodes. Thankfully our little miss is doing great now and playing with her daddy as I type this. As calm as I like to think I am in a crisis, this scared the you know what out of me. But as I said, thankfully she seems to be fine now.
So as I said, this parenthood thing is hard stuff, and I think shortens life spans!

-Rach

1 comment:

Jen said...

I am so glad little Abi is okay! And it sounds like you handled the crisis perfectly. These little people can really scare the bajeezus out of us, can't they?