Tuesday, October 14, 2008

BURNING DOWN THE HOUSE

I learned two things today:
1: Parchment paper is flammable!!!!
2: I have the worlds best neighbors!!!

Sadly, I had to learn the first to reinforce the second. I decided to make cookies today. I thought it would be nice to make a larger batch so that I could give some to my aforementioned neighbors. For those that don't know we live at the end of a court. Immediately to our right we have wonderful neighbors who have twin 4 year old girls. To their right we have wonderful neighbors who have twin 4 year old boys. You read that right, and yes that is weird. Two houses down from them we have wonderful neighbors who have a 22 month old boy.
So back to my baking...it was about 4:10 and I had my last batch in the oven, Abi in the swing and me cleaning up. My cell rang as it usually does around that time. It was Sean calling to see if he could bring anything home. We were having a quick conversation when Abi started to cry so I told him I had to go. I did a quick look at the timer and saw I had about a minute left. I decided to turn off the oven since it would take me a bit longer to calm Abi, settle her into a new activity, and get back to the cookies. I got Abi out of the swing and we danced around and were playing when I started to smell something AWFUL! I wondered what it could be and stood up to see FLAMES inside the oven and smoke everywhere in the kitchen. All of our smoke detectors started to go off. I swooped up Abi and ran out the front door. All of our neighbors and their kids were outside playing. I yelled to our immediate neighbor, Rebbecca, and asked if she would take the baby. She ran over and asked if everything was okay and I replied "no I started a fire!" Our other neighbors heard this and as I ran back into the house one of my other neighbors ran in behind me. Luckily the fire put itself out but there was still smoke everywhere and the smoke detectors blaring. We ran around opening windows. Suzy stood in front of our main smoke detector that goes with our house alarm fanning it with a broom. Meanwhile our other neighbors brought over fans.
Everything and everyone are fine, and miraculously there is no damage, except to the cookies :). My neighbors seriously were so great, setting up fans in Abi's room and everywhere else. Sean pulled up totally confused as to why the garage door and front door where wide open, why Rebbecca was holding Abi, and where the heck was I.
As scary as it was I truly think Sean and I are lucky. We really do have wonderful neighbors and a great sense of community here. This is the type of environment we wanted for our kids and today I realized we really do have it.
Oh for those a little confused as to HOW this all happened...turns out instead of turning the oven to OFF, I turned it to BROIL. Someone told me this is life's way of telling me I need to slow down and not do so much. Well...life...lesson heard and lesson learned :)

Cookies anyone????

No comments: