Monday, December 8, 2008

Random Tid Bits

Hello All,

Things in PDX are going well. I have been working at Macy's now for a couple weeks. This weekend was much better as I was very busy and my days passed quickly. I was sad though for working caused me to miss out on a party. My friend Jen's daughter 1st birthday party ( Abi's friend Emma). Jen is someone I met since moving to Portland and who I have come to value as a friend. Also Jen is who somewhat got me into blogging (what your reading now :) I always read her blog on her pregnancy and now parenthood and when we found out we were pregnant it was something I wanted to start. (You can check out Jen's blog if you'd like, the link is on the right side, 1mamamia, Jen is a fabulous writer and storyteller) So needless to say I was bummed to be missing lovely Emma's celebration. Jen, Amber, and I have said how odd it is to look at our girls now and see how vastly different they are and to think all 3 will be in the same grade. Sean was kind enough to take Abi to Emma's party so she wouldn't miss out on wishing Emma a Happy 1st Birthday. Emma's party was at Gymboree and Sean had his first introduction into the world of Gymbo the Clown. He said he felt a bit odd being the only solo dad there sitting down with Abi and all the other kids and their mom's singing and such. I told him Abi is truly lucky to have such a nice daddy who would do that. He did very well getting her all pretty for her party. From what I hear the birthday girl truly enjoyed herself, along with all of her guests.
Happy Birthday Emma Lynn!


Abi and the birthday girl:



Sean and I always remark on how truly lucky we are, even now. There are many, many, far worse off then us. We are blessed with wonderful family, friends, and most of all Abi. The outpouring from friends and family right now has been so strong it makes me catch my breath. A friend wrote the other week that she took some time responding to the news of Sean's layoff for she wanted to say the right thing, and then realized there was no right thing. To me, it was the perfect thing to say. Sometimes, all one needs is for someone not to give a pep talk but to just say, "it sucks". Everyone has been truly thoughtful, and it has meant more to me then I could ever express. Today, I again was struck by how truly lucky I am. I have always felt blessed by they people I have in my life that surround and support me. I really do have amazing taste in friends ;) Sean and I received a package from some friends of ours, Niki and Jason. It contained some gifts to help us out right now. While totally unnecessary and unexpected, it was very appreciated. More so though, there was a letter letting me know that we are thought of and that while hard now things will brighten. There was a necklace with the note. On the necklace was a charm that says "Faith". I put the necklace on right away and felt almost rejuvenated. Whenever I am down I always do a mental list of why I am so lucky and how things could be worst. It is my way of keeping myself in check from not feeling sorry for myself. I have done it as long as I can remember. Tonight, the first thing on my mental list is the people in my life. Whether we talk often or sporadic you are the people that keep me grounded, who let me cry, and who make me laugh. I thank you all for being there and please know, I am here for you too.
-Rachel

No comments: